Business & Partnership Issues
Moving Forward Following the Death of a Business Partner
If a person dies while active in the operation of a family business, professional partnership or LLC, issues concerning management succession, equity transfers, liability for business indebtedness, and even employment matters can complicate the probate of the decedent’s estate. At BRMM, our Troy estate lawyers represent heirs, devisees, personal representatives, and trustees in resolving probate matters involving business assets, equity positions, and management succession problems.
Call (248) 213-9514 today to schedule your free consultation with Troy estate and probate attorneys.
Experience on All Sides of Business Interests
Our team has represented closely held corporations, partnerships, and other business entities that are sued in probate court by personal representatives or heirs of an estate.
We can help our clients resolve situations such as:
- Conflicts between the terms of a will and terms of a buy-sell agreement or other business contract
- Determination of business asset or equity transfers by contract to see if they can be recovered for the benefit of the decedent’s estate
- Interpretation and enforcement of buy-sell agreements, management succession agreements, and other business contracts
- Valuation, liquidation, and distribution of partnership or corporate equity interests when they are included as part of the estate
- Resolution of problems when business interests are held in trust rather than as part of the estate
- Assertion or defense of contract or tort claims involving a business in which the decedent had a controlling or significant interest
- Resolution of management succession or employment problems in a family business
- Injunctions and other equitable relief to preserve the business status quo pending the determination of opposing claims in probate court
Serving Oakland County Clients
At BRMM, our skilled lawyers know business and commercial litigation of all kinds. Together with our probate litigation practice, this background helps us understand the legal and practical dimensions of the transition a business must make upon the death of a principal.
We are grateful for his guidance and would definitely recommend BRMM.
“Don, has also taken care of the planning for my husband and I to protect our future heirs. We are grateful for his guidance and would definitely recommend BRMM.”
I would recommend them 100 times over.
“They treat you like family and walked us through the entire Medicaid process for my mom, as well, as made sure our POA documents were in place. I couldn't be more grateful for their kindness, help, and guidance.”
- Van Zweden Famil
Strong, ethical, principles.
“When you have confidence in your lawyer, such as I found with Andy Mayoras and other members within his law firm, I fully trusted that my position was going to be zealously represented in an upstanding and professional way. I have nothing but deep respect ”
- George L.
The attorneys at BRMM exceeded all our needs and expectations during this trying time.
“Our family can not thank them both enough for their great work. We highly recommend their services for anyone's elderly care needs.”
- Kevin D.
Barron, Rosenberg, Mayoras & Mayoras P.C. was a Godsend.
“When I count what few blessings I am fortunate to have, Barron, Rosenberg, Mayoras & Mayoras P.C. is one of them.”
- Former Client
- Estate Planning,
When you make an estate plan, one of the most important goals is to establish the legal framework for distribution of the property in your estate. Provisions in a last will and testament can ...Read More
- Estate Planning
Trusts are an important estate planning tool that can address a wide range of goals as part of a carefully structured, thorough estate plan. An irrevocable life insurance trust is a specific type of ...Read More
- Estate Planning
If you own a cellphone, computer, tablet, or another electronic device, you probably own digital assets. Those assets should be part of your estate plan, just like the other property that you own. ...Read More